Find the Best REALTOR® to Sell Your House
By: G. M. Filisko
Published: March 11, 2010
Ask detailed questions about their experience and skills to help you find the right agent for your home sale.
1. How long have you been selling homes?
Mastering real estate requires on-the-job experience. The more experience agents have, the more likely they’ll be able to handle any curveballs thrown during your home sale.
2. What designations do you hold?
Designations like GRI (Graduate REALTOR® Institute) and CRS® (Certified Residential Specialist), which require that agents complete additional real estate training, show they’re constantly learning. Ask if agents have designations and, if not, why not?
3. How many homes did you sell last year?
Agents may tout their company’s success. An equally important question is how many homes they’ve personally sold in the past year; it’s an indicator of how active and aggressive they are.
4. How many days on average did it take you to sell homes?
Ask agents to show you this data along with stats from their local Multiple Listing Service (MLS) so you can see how many days, on average, their listings were on the market compared to the average for all properties in the MLS.
5. How close were the asking and sales prices of the homes you sold?
Sometimes sellers choose their agent because the agent’s suggested listing price is higher than those suggested by other agents. A better factor is the difference between listing prices and the amount homes actually sold for. That can help you judge agents’ skill at accurately pricing homes and marketing to the right buyers. It can also help you weed out agents trying to dazzle you with a lofty sales price just to get your listing.
6. How will you market my home?
The days of agents putting a For Sale sign in the yard and hoping for the best are long gone. Look for an agent who does aggressive and innovative marketing, especially on the Internet.
7. Will you represent me exclusively?
In most states, agents can represent the seller, the buyer, or both in a home sale. If your agent will also represent buyers, understand and consent to that dual representation.
8. How will you keep me informed?
If you want weekly updates by email, don’t choose an agent who plans to contact you only if there’s an offer.
9. Can you provide references?
Ask to talk to the last three customers the agent assisted. Call and ask if they’d work with the agent again and if the agent did anything that didn’t sit well with them.
10. Are you a REALTOR®?
Ask whether agents are REALTORS®, which means they’re members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (NAR). NAR has been an advocate of agent professionalism and a champion of homeownership rights for more than a century.
If you would like expert advise and representation to market your home, please contact me.
Friday, April 8, 2011
- ► 2012 (33)
- 5 Strategies to Rebuild Your Credit after Foreclos...
- Selling Your Home in Today’s Market? Focus on the ...
- What to expect when selling home at a loss
- Canceled debt's tax impact
- What Do Homeowners Say About Homeownership?
- How to Complete Home Renovations on a Budget
- Simple Tips to Downsize Your Lifestyle
- Track mildew problem to the source
- Real estate price declines overadjusted!
- Now Is the Time to Get Your Home’s Exterior in Tip...
- Do Your Part: Slash Your Grocery Bill while Going ...
- Homeowners Reuse Materials for Environmental and A...
- How to Manage Unexpected Home Expenses
- 5 Things Home Buyers Do That Turn Sellers Off and ...
- 4 Financial Reasons to Buy Now
- Michigan Economic Update shows encouragement
- Stop losing homes to higher bidders
- Foreclosures Offer New Twist on Old Game: Flipping...
- OK. You Win. Stop Listening to Real Estate Agents!...
- Will I Get More Money If I Wait?
- 7 Tips for Staging Your Home
- 5 Tips to Prepare Your Home for Sale
- Find the Best REALTOR® to Sell Your House
- How to Use Comparable Sales to Price Your Home
- If Your Goal Is to Buy Low, Buy Now!
- REALTOR® Magazine-Daily News-4 Tips to Avoid Forec...
- The First Question You Should Ask Your Listing Age...
- Selling Your House? 5 Reasons To Do It NOW!
- Surprising Insider Secrets for the 5 Stages of Buy...
- ▼ April (29)
- ► 2010 (66)